Thursday, October 19, 2017

Cookie 911

As many of you here at the Cud know, there is this thing called chocolate.

A very delicious thing.

Especially when chopped up into little pieces, lets call them chips, and stuffed into cookies.

I heard the Man rattling around some pans and things in the kitchen the other night. I knew chocolate chip cookies were on the way, so I joined him to see if he needed any help.

He did.

Just in case you don't know, you make chocolate chip cookies by mixing together flour, salt, and baking soda in a bowl. Then mixing butter, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and eggs in a different bowl. After that you add the flour to the delicious, buttery, sugary batter and then mix in the chocolate chips.

So imagine my surprise when I walked in the kitchen and saw him dumping the sugar in the same bowl as the flour. I asked him what he was doing. I mean, maybe he wasn't making the cookies. Maybe he was making something else.

No, he was making the chocolate chip cookies.

He had the bag of chocolate chips on the counter right in front of him. He read the ingredient list, but didn't think reading the instructions was that important. Surely you make chocolate chip cookies just like you make a cake. Mix all the dry stuff together, then add the milk or eggs or whatever, dump it in a pan and cook it.

I took over production. Turns out you can make chocolate chip cookies just like you make a cake. At least sort of. I mixed in the butter until it was all finely crumbled, then mixed in the eggs and vanilla. It wasn't easy and seemed to take forever to finish mixing together, but eventually it turned into cookie dough.

But the story doesn't end there. We like to make big batches of food so we have some to save for later. I started mixing up a second batch of cookies to freeze when the Man asked me what I was doing. Our little scoop measuring cups are made of old blue plastic. On the handles there used to be labels- 1 cup, half cup, third cup, and quarter cup, but they're so old most of the labels have worn off. The Man asked me why I wasn't using the three quarter cup measuring cup when I was measuring the sugar.

I told him because there was no such thing as a three quarter cup measuring cup. He thought the half cup was three quarters. That's the one he used to measure 'three quarters' of a cup of sugar and brown sugar, so the first batch was missing a lot of sugar. Not too much, mind you. They were still tasty. It might actually have been an improvement. They're not like eating a mouthful of sugar.

There was a similar mix-up with the flour and the measuring cups, but instead of too little flour there was too much flour. They were extra puffy. The Man called them chocolate chip biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment