Sunday, December 17, 2017

A Helpful Little Lie

I'm generally a pretty nice person. I wait patiently in lines, I don't gobble up the last cookie (usually), and I even say thank you to the people working the drive-thru at Burger King (delicious fries). I also try to be as honest as I need to be.

Speaking of which...the phone rang a couple days ago. It was a telemarketer. I don't mind talking with telemarketers. After all, I am one. So I let him yap away at me for a while. Let him talk with somebody that isn't screaming and cussing, or just being generally hateful. I was going over in my head a polite way of letting him know whatever he was selling I wasn't buying when he told me what he was selling.

Life insurance.

Then he asked me how old I was. That's when I figured out how to get rid of him.

'I'm 71,' I said.

Suddenly he wasn't interested in talking with my any more. Who wants to sell life insurance to someone with one foot in the grave? In seconds he'd thanked me and hung up.

Mission accomplished.


1 comment:

  1. That doesn't always work. I am Older Than Dirt and I get telemarketing calls all the time offering to sell me life insurance. I think the cut-off age is 85. It is expensive and rigged somehow so it won't pay off if you die in the next year or two. Probably other exclusions but boy, they sure push it!

    ReplyDelete