Saturday, June 04, 2016

No Good Deed, And So On And So Forth

Ok, so, I have this phone.

I'd been having trouble keeping it charged. Some times it would be plugged in all night long and the next day it still wouldn't be charged. I started thinking maybe the battery was bad. It's got a cord that you can plug into an adapter that plugs into an outlet, or you can plug it right into one of the ports on your computer.  It occurred to me that maybe the little adapter had fried out, so I plugged the cord into my laptop.

It still wouldn't charge.

I just knew it was the battery, or maybe the phone itself was in need of CPR. Then I set the laptop down and that jiggled the wire a little. Next thing I know it's charging away.

So it turned out it wasn't the phone, the battery, or the adapter. It was just the cord.

Which was just one of several we had. I threw that one away and plugged in with another one. Now it charges like nobody's business.

Anyway, it's an iPhone, and when I plugged it into my computer iTunes opened up. I don't plug my phone into my computer very much because the last time I did that was right after I got it.

Let me tell you that sad, sad story.

Keith and I both got iPhones at the same time and we both decided to back-up our phones. He backed up his, and then I backed up mine.

Somehow, I ended up with not just my address book but I had all Keith's phone numbers jumbled up with mine.

And let me tell you, he's the mayor of our little Mayberry. He has a metric shit-ton of phone numbers.

So, anyway, I figured since it was plugged in I might at well have a look at my phone's innards. After all, I never got around to deleting Keith's numbers yet, so my phone was already bloated as much as it could get.

What more could go wrong?

Ooooh, let me tell you that sad, sad story.

So, anyway, back to thinking it would be a good idea to poke around in my phone's innards.

I noticed my phone had about 28 GB of memory, and wasn't using even close to half of it. I figured it was a shame to let all that memory go to waste, especially since it looks like my computer wants to upgrade to Windows 10 whether I want it to or not. I already backed most of my stuff onto a flash drive, but I figured it couldn't hurt to back it up a second time. I have too much music to fit on my phone, but I was able to stuff all my pictures on it.

I was sitting there, feeling pretty satisfied with myself for backing up some shit on my computer, when I had a brainstorm.

I should back-up my phone.

You know, just in case.

So I did. I backed up everything on my phone onto my computer.

Back onto my computer.

It wasn't until after it was all copied yet again that I realized I wasn't just saving my address book. I was saving all those pictures back onto my computer.

It seemed silly to save copies from my computer back on my computer, so I deleted it all.

As in deleted it all. Not the pictures. They're still there, safe & sound. Plus, even though there wasn't room for all my music I was able to save all my playlists. I've got about 50 or so & I'm not even at C yet.

The songs are all still there, tucked in safe & sound next to all the pictures.

No, what's gone is all Keith's phone numbers.

And all mine, too.

Can't forget that.

On the bright side, now I don't have to worry about deleting all Keith's numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment